Roscoe Village Sweets & Treats is located in Historic Roscoe Village – a restored canal era town that was once a bustling port along the Ohio & Erie Canal from 1830 through 1913.
Our candy store is located in the restored John Dredge building (circa 1846). In its early years, the building was home to a hardware store and tin sheet manufactory, with apartments located on the upper levels.
Today the building houses tons of delicious candies – many vintage candies, kids’ favorites, chocolates, and more! The address is 435 N. Whitewoman Street, Coshocton, OH 43812 (in Historic Roscoe Village)
‘Why is it called Whitewoman Street?’ you may ask.
The name goes back even before the canal times. Mary Harris, a captive of the Indians, was considered the first ‘White Woman’ in the Ohio Country. She and her Indian family settled in a nearby town in 1748. She was so respected by her Indian peers that they named the village where she lived ‘Whitewoman Town’, and the trail leading to the village was called ‘Whitewoman Trail. That trail is today’s Whitewoman Street. (Walhonding is the Indian word for Whitewoman).